Firefly Complete Car Rental Protection Plan
What is your responsibility?
When you rent a car from Firelfy Grand Cayman, you are responsible for any and all loss or damage to the car resulting from any cause (including but not limited to, collision, rollover, theft, vandalism, seizure, fire flood, hail or other acts of nature regardless of fault).
In the event of any loss or damage to the car regardless of fault, your financial responsibility extends to the full value of the car at the time of rental, less its salvage value, plus expenses for towing, storage impound fees, an administrative fee and a reasonable charge for loss of use.
What protection does Firefly Grand Cayman LDW offer?
By accepting LDW (Loss Damage Waiver), you will be relieved of all financial responsibility for loss or damage to the rental car, whether or not you have insurance to cover such damage. In order for LDW to be applied to any damage claims, you must properly report the related incident in accordance with the Rental Agreement. LDW is available at the counter for USD$13.95 - $21.95 per day depending on vehicle category.
Do I need Third Party Liability ?
Where permitted by law, no liability protection is provided under the terms of the Rental Agreement from claims of injury by others against you resulting from an accident with the rental car. Firefly Grand Cayman is an independent franchise in the Caribbean and does not automatically provide Third Party Liability Insurance. Most Rental Car locations in the United States and Corporate Rental Car Operations abroad provide some primary protection under the Rental Agreement. However, in those situations where protection is provided by a rental car agency, such protection is generally no more than the minimum limits required by individual state or country law. For these reasons, some people feel more comfortable traveling with additional liability protection. That is why Firefly makes the Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS) option available to you. Here are some facts you should know:
- LIS provides coverage for you and other authorized operators of your rental vehicle for third party liability claims.
- LIS is primary protection to your personal policy and provides for the first KYD$5,000,000** of coverage for combined bodily injury and/or property damage claims per occurrence.
- LIS is available at the counter for USD$ 12.95 per day
- Third Party websites such as Travelocity and Expedia DO NOT offer Liability Insurance. Please review the terms and conditions for those policies.
- Credit Cards DO NOT provide Third Party Liablity Insurance
- Most U.S. insurance companies do not provide Liability Insurance outside of the United States, Canada, and U.S. overseas territorries i.e. (Puerto Rico, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands)
- Grand Cayman is a British Overseas Terriorty
Will my own car insurance cover damage to the rental car?
This is the question we are asked most often. Each policy should be thoroughly checked for the specific terms and conditions associated with rental vehicles. Most personal auto insurance policies from the United States will not cover you outside of a U.S. territory. If you have an accident with a Firefly car and you've declined the Firefly Optional Protection Plans because you thought your credit card insurance covered you, consider these facts:
- You must pay for your rental using the card providing coverage, or the coverage will not apply.
- Most cards only reimburse you for your deductible after your own insurance pays.
- Some cards don't pay unless you submit documented, "paid by you first" repair bills within a specified time.
- Some don't cover rentals that last longer than a certain period.
- Some don't cover certain car types or classes, (e.g., large sport utility vehicles or certain luxury cars).
- Some only cover you if you purchase a separate, additional, one-time rental car coverage before each rental or enroll in advance and pay an additional fee for each rental.
- Some don't cover rentals on cards issued outside of the USA.
- Credit card rental car coverage is for damage to the car, not for liability claims against you by people injured in an accident or third party property damage.